Tuesday, March 15, 2005

I'll start this off without any words...

... of my own.

Can I view thee panting, lying
On thy stomach, without sighing;
Can I unmoved see thee dying
On a log,
Expiring frog!

Say, have fiends in shape of boys,
With wild halloo, and brutal noise,
Hunted thee from marshy joys,
With a dog,
Expiring frog!

(Charles Dickens, "The Pickwick Papers")


I had forgotten how the frogs must sound
After a year of silence, else I think
I should not have ventured forth alone
At dusk upon this unfrequented road.
I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?
Oh, savage Beauty, suffer me to pass,
that am a timid woman, on her way
From one house to another!

(Edna St. Vincent-Millay, "Assault")

4 comments:

Lancelot said...

well, wonder why you didnt add any words of your own after the post!!! just got here from DD's blog... just curious...r u THE one from IIT-K??

expiring_frog said...

@lancelot: Because
a) I find writing abt myself and my opinions on a daily basis fraud :).
b) I'm rarely in the mood for posts of any other nature.
c) There was actually another (self-composed) post which I deleted because it looked so aantel.

Though I'm thinking of continuing my Russian novel (:P) in installments here. You might see it coming in the next few days.

And yes, I'm one of many from IITK.

expiring_frog said...

Follow up: Have decided to do something with this blog after all, and get over my feeling of (a).

Thanks Lancelot!

expiring_frog said...

Hey trivial, thanks for the comments, but do I know you? Mail me if you want to maintain anonymity :)